Place de la Concorde
The Place de la Concorde is located in the 8th district of Paris and it is the biggest square of the city with its 84 000 m2. Bordered by the Seine, enhances the majestic culmination of the union between the Champs Élysées avenue with those of the Défense, the Jardins des Tuileries and the Louvre. A place coloured by history, it also means the link between the Palais Bourbon (the National Assembly), on the left bank, and the Église de La Madeline on the other. The square, constructed in 1772 in honour of Louis XV, featured an equestrian statue of the King which, during the Revolution, was destroyed and substituted by a place for executions. However, after the Terror it was re-baptized as Place de la Concorde to mark the reconciliation among the French people. It is also known by its 'Luxor Obelisk', 3 300 years old, offered to France by Méhémet Ali, vice-king of Egypt. Erected at its center in 1836, it originally came from the Luxor temple. This masterwork carved out of red granite is 33 meters in height and 230 tons in weight. Covered by hieroglyphs, exhibits as well a sundial and a golden capstone or 'pyramidion'. Likewise, the square is sprinkled by many other statues and street furniture, such as the 'Chevaux de Marly' that decorate the Champs Élysées entrance and are livened up by booksellers at the Seine's bank. On the other side we find the Crillon Hotel, that has hosted some of the most famous persons in the world and where the celebrated restaurant Maxim's is. Moreover, when night comes, the Place de la Concorde shines as a jeweled throne, ever prominent in the City of Lights. Most of the Paris City Vision tours go through the Place de la Concorde; for example, the Visit of the Palace of Versailles and Paris excursion or Paris Discovery by minibus and with priority access.